Preparing for StormsUse this storm checklist to be prepared for severe weather
BEMC’s top priority is the safety of you and your family. Click here to make sure you’re ready for severe weather.
Assemble supplies to have on hand rather than rushing around when the storm is coming and waiting in long lines for milk or bread.
Rotate your supplies to keep them fresh and use the following checklist to prepare for power outages:
- Water—At least one gallon per person per day for a week
- Food—Enough nonperishable foods for a week. Canned meats, tuna fish, and peanut butter store well. Don’t forget pet foods!
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio and an NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert.
- Extra batteries
- Cell phone with charger, inverter, or solar charger
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- First Aid kit
- Prescription medications, eyeglasses/contact lenses, and supplies
- Manual can opener for food
- Cooler and ice
- Matches in a waterproof container or small propane grill lighter
- Paper cups, plates, plastic utensils, paper towels
- Infant formula, diapers, clothing, and other supplies
- Personal Sanitation Supplies—Moist towelettes, toilet paper, feminine hygiene supplies, garbage bags with ties
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- Pet carrier, pet food, and extra water for your pet(s)
- Paper and pen or pencil
- Cash—Bills and change
- Important family documents in a waterproof portable container—Copies of insurance policies, ID cards, bank account records, password records
- Books, games, puzzles, or other activities for children
- Plan where to meet and how to communicate with family members if separated
For more storm safety tips, download our Hurricane Preparation Guide.
Report an outage by calling 800-682-5309 or online through the link at the top of the site.