Electrical SafetyEveryone has a part to play in prioritizing safety
Your safety is our top priority.
For the safety of you and your family, and for the safety of our linemen, we need everyone’s help. Safe practices are not only wise, they may help prevent unnecessary power outages. Here are a few tips to keep in mind.
- Stay away from power lines, meters, transformers, and electrical boxes.
- Never climb trees near power lines.
- Never fly kites, remote control airplanes, or balloons near power lines.
- Call BEMC at 800-842-5871 if you get something stuck in a power line and need to get it removed.
- Keep a safe distance from overhead power lines when working with ladders or installing objects like antennas.
- Never touch or go near a downed power line—keep children and pets away.
- Never touch anything that may be touching a downed wire, such as a car.
- Call BEMC at 800-682-5309 if you see a downed line to report it immediately, and always assume it is live and stay away.
- Keep all electrical appliances, such as hair dryers, blenders, and televisions, away from water.
- To avoid overloads, limit the number of appliances plugged into one outlet.
- Make sure that circuit breakers and fuses are properly identified.
- Never put anything into electrical outlets not intended for them.
- Check all electrical and extension cords to make sure they aren’t cracked, frayed or covered by rugs or furniture.
Test your electrical safety knowledge with this quiz from Touchstone Energy.