Electrical Safety KnowledgeWe're helping safely power lives across the area every day with critical Electrical Safety Knowledge.
As your electric cooperative, member safety is important to us.
Please check out this vital safety information to help keep you and your family safe.
Power Line Safety
Keep a safe distance! Whether you are playing outdoors with your children or working on home projects, keep a safe space from power lines and other equipment your co-op uses to get electricity to your home.
Always remember to:
- Stay away from power lines, meters, transformers, and electrical boxes.
- Never climb trees near power lines.
- Never fly kites, remote control airplanes, or balloons near power lines.
- Call BEMC at 800-842-5871 if you get something stuck in a power line and need to get it removed.
- Keep a safe distance from overhead power lines when working with ladders or installing objects like antennas.
- Never touch or go near a downed power line—keep children and pets away.
- Never touch anything that may be touching a downed wire, such as a car.
- Call BEMC at 800-682-5309 if you see a downed line to report it immediately, and always assume it is live and stay away.
Test your electrical safety knowledge with this quiz from Touchstone Energy.
Find more important BEMC safety tips and information here!