Before, During & After a Storm
Be Prepared for Storms!
To report an outage, call BEMC at 1-800-682-5309.
If your lights go off during a storm, be prepared for the power outage. Assemble supplies to have on hand rather than rushing around when the storm is coming and waiting in long lines for milk or bread. Rotate your supplies to keep them fresh and use the following checklist to prepare for power outages:
- Water, at least one gallon per person per day for a week.
- Food - nonperishable foods enough for a week. Canned meats, tuna fish and peanut butter are good foods to store. Don’t forget pet foods!
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert. Extra batteries for both.
- Flashlight and extra batteries.
- Cell phone with charger, inverter or solar charger.
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities. (www.ready.gov/utility-shut-safety)
- First Aid kit.
- Prescription medications, eyeglasses/contact lenses and supplies.
- Manual can opener for food.
- Cooler and ice.
- Matches in waterproof container, or small propane grill lighter.
- Paper cups, plates, plastic utensils, paper towels.
- Infant formula, diapers, clothing and other supplies.
- Personal sanitation supplies - moist towelettes, toilet paper, feminine hygiene supplies, garbage bags w/ ties.
- Blankets or sleeping bags.
- Pet carrier, pet food and extra water for your pet(s).
- Paper and pen or pencil.
- Cash - bills and change.
- Important family documents in a waterproof portable container - copies of insurance policies, ID cards, bank account records, password records.
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children.
- Plan where to meet and how to communicate with family members if separated.
For more storm safety tips, click on the Hurricane Preparation Guide at right.