BEMC Scholarship Highway Program
Each year Brunswick Electric awards two (2) scholarships of $5,000 each to high school seniors from Brunswick County and the Columbus County area served by BEMC.
The scholarship awards are based on a combination of academic achievement, participation in community or school-related activities, SAT scores, letters of reference and submission of a 1,500 word essay.
The application deadline is generally in mid-March each year. The essay topic and applications are distributed through high school guidance departments and posted on this website in early December.
The scholarships are open to all high school seniors meeting the following criteria:
1. must be a U.S. Citizen;
2. attend a high school located in Brunswick, Columbus, Bladen or Robeson County;
3. live in a residence receiving electric service from BEMC;
4. must be the dependent of a BEMC member with a permanent primary residence that currently receives electric service from BEMC;
5. have been accepted at an accredited 2-yr community college, 4-yr college, or a vocational / technical school, for full-time status of 12 or more credit hours; and
6. plan to start school in the fall of the award year.
Visit our website in December of 2017 to enter for the 2017-2018 school year.
Application packages available in all high school guidance offices around Dec 10.
Completed applications must be submitted through your guidance counselor.
Download the full application package, including eligibilty requirements and tips on this year's essay topic.
"There are seven Cooperative Principles that all cooperatives abide by, which distinguish Brunswick Electric, an electric cooperative, from other business models. Taken together, the first three principles mean that electric cooperatives are owned by their members, and that the co-op’s only purpose is to serve and answer to its members. This is different from other utilities that are owned by investors whose primary goal is to make a profit. Tell us what is important about this difference."
Download MS Word document of the Application (2 pg) only to edit, save and print on your own computer.
Be sure to review the full package above before starting your application.